REGIONAL INFORMATION CENTER UPDATE – MAY 13
Three additional COVID-19-releated deaths, 23 recoveries reported
Health District Hotline:
Follow us on Twitter:
Reno/Sparks, NV – The Regional Information Center is reporting three additional COVID-19-related deaths in Washoe County:
- A male in his 70s with underlying health conditions
- A male in his 70s; it is under investigation if there were underlying health conditions
- A male in his 50s with underlying health conditions
There are 43 COVID-19-related deaths in Washoe County.
In addition, there were 23 recoveries from COVID-19 and 16 additional cases.
- Total COVID-19 cases in Washoe County: 1,132 (+16 from 5/12)
- Deaths: 43 (+3)
- Recoveries: 562 (+23)
- Active cases: 527 (-10)
- Currently hospitalized: 44 (+0)
- Cases who have discharged from hospital: 103 (+6)
Hospital bed and ventilator information
According to the Nevada Hospital Association, in Washoe County as of May 12, 2020:
- 57 percent of all staffed short-term, acute-care hospital beds are occupied (-3% since May 11)
- 46 percent of the all Intensive Care Unit beds are occupied (+12%)
- 14 percent of all ventilators are in use (+2%)
NOTE: Numbers are for all hospital patients in Washoe County and not just COVID-19 patients.
Total number of COVID-19 tests performed in Washoe County as of May 12, 2020
- Total number of COVID-19 tests performed in Washoe County: 14,584 (+268 from 5/11)
The COVID-19 tests may include non-Washoe County residents who were tested in Washoe County. The numbers are provided by the State of Nevada and include testing done in Washoe County via the drive-thru site at the Livestock Events Center and at area hospitals.
Study shows how effective masks are with COVID-19
A recent publication conducted an evidence review about the effectiveness of mask usage against COVID-19. The literature offered evidence in favor of widespread mask use to reduce community transmission. The research states that decreased transmissibility could substantially reduce the death toll and economic impact while the cost of intervention is low. See more here.
The COVID-19 Regional Information Center is working together to deliver COVID-19 community updates in a unified manner. Follow us on Twitter @COVID19Washoe. The entities include: City of Reno, City of Sparks, North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District, Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe, Regional Transportation Commission, REMSA, Reno Sparks Indian Colony, Reno Police Department, Reno Fire Department, Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District, University of Nevada, Reno, Washoe County, Washoe County Health District, Washoe County School District and Washoe County Sheriff’s Office. Also in the group are the area hospitals, Northern Nevada Medical Center, Renown Health and Saint Mary’s.