239 new COVID-19 cases, 5 COVID-19-related deaths reported
Health District Hotline:
Follow us on Twitter:
Jan. 12, 2021. Reno/Sparks, NV – The Regional Information Center is reporting five additional COVID-19-related deaths in Washoe County:
- Male, 80s, underlying health condition
- Male, 90s, unknown if there was an underlying health condition
- Female, 90s, underlying health condition
- Male, 60s, unknown if there was an underlying health condition
- Male, 80s, underlying health condition
There have been 544 COVID-19-related deaths in Washoe County.
Additionally, we’re reporting 239 new COVID-19 cases in Washoe County.
Regarding COVID-19 vaccines, the Washoe County Health District administered approximately 386 COVID-19 vaccines on Tuesday at the Reno-Sparks Livestock Events Center. The Health District has administered approximately 8,708 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine since Dec. 23.
For more updates on the COVID-19 vaccine and to receive weekly emails, sign up here.
- Total COVID-19 cases in Washoe County: 38,562 (+239 from 1/11)
- Deaths: 544 (+5)
- Recovered: 22,319 (+97)
- Active cases: 15,699 (+137)
- Hospitalized with COVID-19*: 199 (+13)
- Vaccines administered by Washoe County Health District**: 8,708 (+386)
- Total Vaccines Received in Washoe County: 22,760
- Vaccines distributed to community partners (Hospitals, medical providers): 11,030
*Data from Nevada Hospital Association (not updated on weekends or holidays) includes residents from outside of Washoe County.
**This number is approximate and includes only COVID-19 vaccines administered by the Health District, which occur four days per week.
COVID-19 tests performed in Washoe County
- Total number of COVID-19 tests performed in Washoe County as of January 12: 317,803 (+1,642 since 1/11)
Note: These figures are provided by the State of Nevada and can be found on the State Dashboard. COVID-19 tests may include non-Washoe County residents who were tested in Washoe County.
Hospital bed and ventilator information
According to the Nevada Hospital Association, in Washoe County as of January 12 (Numbers not updated on weekends):
- 76 percent staffed hospital beds are occupied (+1% since 1/11)
- 65 percent of all licensed hospital beds are occupied (+1%)
- 49 percent of all Intensive Care Unit beds are occupied (+4%)
- 20 percent of all ventilators are in use (-4%)
NOTE: Numbers are for all hospital patients in Washoe County and not just COVID-19 patients.
Health District reopens COVID-19 testing to asymptomatic people
The Washoe County Health District is allowing for all residents to receive a free COVID-19 test at the Reno-Sparks Livestock Events Center whether they have symptoms of COVID-19 or not.
Washoe County needs volunteers for COVID-19 fight
The Washoe County Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) is looking for medical professionals or those without medical experience to volunteer to help fight COVID-19 in Washoe County.
The greatest need is for volunteers with computer skills, people skills, clinical and clerical skills.
MRC was created to support public health and emergency response efforts during natural disasters and other emergencies by providing trained volunteers to help staff shelters, alternate care sites, and points of dispensing. Given the rise in hospitalizations, continued demand for COVID-19 testing, and now dispensing of the COID-19 vaccine, volunteers are needed to support the region. Learn how to volunteer by going to this website, or email email@example.com
Download the COVID Trace app, and help stop COVID-19
Washoe County health officials are strongly recommending that residents download the COVID Trace, an easy-to-use app that helps fight COVID-19 in Washoe County and Nevada, without compromising your privacy. Learn more here.
The COVID-19 Regional Information Center is working together to deliver COVID-19 community updates in a unified manner. While press releases are only sent periodically for significant events, you can always get daily results on our website, https://covid19washoe.com/, our COVID-19 Dashboard or by following us on Twitter @COVID19Washoe. The entities include: City of Reno, City of Sparks, North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District, Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe, Regional Transportation Commission, REMSA, Reno Sparks Indian Colony, Reno Police Department, Reno Fire Department, Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District, University of Nevada, Reno, Washoe County, Washoe County Health District, Washoe County School District and Washoe County Sheriff’s Office. Also in the group are the area hospitals, Northern Nevada Medical Center, Renown Health and Saint Mary’s.